POST GRADUATION IN MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Mechanical Engineering is the broadest and most diverse of engineering discipline .It design and manufactures everything from small individual parts and devices to large systems.
The role of mechanical engineer is to take the product from an idea to the marketplace. In order to accomplish this, a broad range of skills are needed. He/she needs to design them for functionality, aesthetics, and the ability to withstand the forces and the thermal environment they will be subjected to; and to determine the best way to manufacture them and ensure they will operate without failure.
The mechanical engineer’s exclusive domain is the ability to analyze and design objects and systems with motion. Mechanical engineers learn about materials, solid and fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, design, and manufacturing to understand mechanical systems.
The breadth of the mechanical engineering discipline allows students a variety of career options. Mechanical engineers play a central role in industries such as automotive ,aerospace ,power generation, biotechnology; computers, electronics and electromechanical systems
1) Strength of Material Strength of Materials Laboratory offers facilities for testing engineering materials for their strength, behavior and suitability for various applications. The various equipments available are listed below,
- Universal testing machine 1000 ton
- Torsion testing machine
- Impact testing machine.
- Rockwell and Brinells Hardness testing machine.
2) Computer Aided Machine Drawing – Computer Aided Machine Drawing Laboratory has 60 desktop computers with latest versions of drafting software such as AutoCAD and Creo. The students can visualize an object and convert it into a drawing thereby gain knowledge of conventional representation of various machining and mechanical details as per IS and become conversant with 2-D and 3-D drafting.
3) Thermal Engineering – The objective of Thermal Engineering Laboratory is to introduce the students to the fundamental theories and the applications of thermodynamics. It contains miniatures of many equipments listed below:-
VELIX BOILER, LOFFFLER BOILER, LOCOMOTIVE BOILER, BABCOCK AND WILCOX BOILER, LAMOUNT BOILER, BENSON BOILER, VERTICAL WATER BOILER, LEVER SAFETY VALVE, SPRING LODEDE VALVE, DEAD WEIGT SAFETY VALVE, WATER LEVEL INDICTOR, STEAM INJECTOR, BORDON TUBE PRESSURE GAGUE, SUPER HEATER, COMBINED HIGH PRESSURE & LAW SAFLY VALVE, GAS TURBINE, BOMB CALORIMETED MASK FLOW RATE THROUGH ORFICE LPATE TEST RIG, etc.
4) Machine Shop – At Machine Shop students understand basic machining processes, various machining operations and machine protocols. The Laboratory contains Lathe machines, Drill Machines, Shapers, Power Hacksaw, Welding machines etc.
5) Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics – Fluid Mechanics Laboratory offers to understand application of mass, momentum and energy equation in fluid flow and students can learn various flow measurement techniques using various setups for determination of pressure surge in pipes, measurement of hydrostatic force on bodies/surfaces, verification of Archimedes’ Principle, Bernoulli’s equation and Pascal’s law, determination of major and minor losses in piping systems, etc. Hydraulics Laboratory demonstrates the working principles of different types of pumps, compressors and turbines.
6) Theory of Machines – Theory of Machines Laboratory provides information regarding basic concept of kinematics and kinetics of machine elements, power transmission with the help of various models and experimental setups as listed below,
FOUR BAR LINK MECHANISM MODEL, SILDER CRANCK MACHANISM, CRANK & SLOTTED LINK MECHANISM, UNIVERSAL COUPLING, OLDHAMS COUPLING, CENTRIFUGAL CLUTCH, DOUBLE SHOE BRAKE, INTERNAL EXPANDING BRAKE, SINGLE PLATE AND MULTIPLATE CLUTCH, BELT DRIVE, CHAIN DRIVE. ROPE BRAKE DYANMOMETER, GOVERNORS (WATT, PORTER, PROELL, HARTNELL GOVERNORS), GYROSCOPE APPARATUS, CAM & FOLLOWER APPARATUS
7) Material Technology – Material Technology Laboratory offers students the knowledge of microstructure of various engineering metals (ferrous and nonferrous) of different composition with or without heat treatment using optical and inverted microscope. The effect of heat treatment on ferrous metals with help of Jominy end Quench Test.
8) Internal Combustion Engines – Internal Combustion Engines Laboratory helps students to understand the application of thermodynamics to I. C. Engines, so that students can study the analysis of engine performance characteristics and engine emissions using test rigs.
9) Mechanical Measurement and Metrology – Mechanical Measurement and Metrology Laboratory imparts the knowledge of the measurement system to delivers working principle of mechanical measurement and control system. It also helps in study fundamentals of modern quality concepts and statistical techniques, various inspection methods.
10) Heat Transfer – Heat Transfer Laboratory offers facilities to study and analysis of basic heat transfer concepts applicable for steady state and transient conditions and explains the three modes of heat transfer. Various equipments available in lab are listed below,
- THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY OF METAL BAR
- THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY OF LIQUID TEST SET UP
- THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY OF INSULATING MATERIAL SET UP
- NATURAL FORCE CONVECTION APPARATUS
- FROCED CONVECTION APPARATUS
- PRAALLEL/COUNTER FLOW HEAT EXCHANGER
11) Mechanical Vibration – Mechanical Vibration Laboratory offers facilities to study basic concepts of vibration analysis, to acquaint with the principles of vibration measuring instruments and to study balancing of mechanical systems using experimental setups like Universal vibration apparatus, Whirling of shaft apparatus and Balancing apparatus, etc.
12) CAD/CAM/CIM and FEA – CAD/CAM/CIM and FEA Laboratory offers practical knowledge of geometric modeling. Transform, manipulate objects and store and manage data. Prepare part programming applicable to CNC machines. Use rapid prototyping and tooling concepts in any real life applications. Identify the tools for Analysis of a complex engineering component.
13) Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Laboratory helps to study components of refrigeration and air conditioning systems, also to study working and operating principles of Vapour Compression and Vapour Absorption system. Various equipments of lab are listed below,
- Refrigeration test rig
- Window air conditioning
- Ice plant test rig.
- Water cooler test rig
- General cycle air conditioning test rig